Friday, January 27, 2006

Big Day Out

About an hour later, I wake up in a daze on the most uncomfortable red plastic stadium chair. I look around, wipe sleep out of my eyes and take a few moments to reorient myself. Puzzled as to how I could have fallen asleep amongst 30,000 raging fans rocking out to Kings of Leon, I say to Ali, "Al, have i just been sleeping the whole time?"
I'm not one who can easily fall asleep, even in the most quietiest of places, let alone in rock concert! I must have been more drunk than I thought. I can already feel the hangover and we haven't even see End of Fashion, Franz Ferdinand, Iggy Pop, or the White Stripes yet. In fact, it think it's only like 4:00.
The best cure for a hangover is greasy food, so Al and I head over to the food stands, which are looking dirtier by the minute. Once semi-clean, the showground has become a jungle of sweaty people with bad body odor, smushed up fliers, squashy chips, cans and water bottles.
I order two big fat bratwursts from the Saurkraut Sisters because they are selling 2 dogs for $7.00, and when you are pissed, more is always better. God, i feel like a pig, but it's Big Day Out and I am drunk as a mother. (Wolfmother was great by the way).
On our way back to the Blue stage to see The Living End, we stumble into a few recognizable faces and exchange what has become the typical speech of the day: "Who are you guys going to see next" and "him and them were so good". We also say, "Well, i'm sure we will see you at Franz Ferdinand" - what has become the typical lie of the day which everyone still voices regardless of the fact that we all know chances of running into the same person again, especially at Franz Ferdinand, are close to nothing.
The next band up is End of Fashion, Ali's favorite. We make our way there after a detour to the toilet, which is gross, but not as bad as I had imagined. I should be used to bad toilets anyway because I did live in China for 10 years, where toilets are almost as rare as vegemite. In China, toilets are not toilets. They are 'holes in the ground.'
End of Fashion is so hot and we are standing in the middle of the mosh pit. Now I remember why it was a bad idea to wear thongs. My feet are getting stomped on my the masses of people squashed up against me. But after a while I am no longer bothered because my feet have gone numb and I am too busy jumping up and down with other sweaties.
Oh man, the guitarist in the red plaid shirt with his long shaggy hair and beard is so hot, and so is the lead singer and also the drummer. The band is hot full stop.
"O Yeah....say you wanna talk about it for a while"
"Sweet candy, just give me some sweet candy."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello my little drunken fool!
Big day out sounds absolutly amazing, I can't believe you passed out, massive trashbag!! Oh i wish I was in oz for australia day, although i did have a huge celebration, we hit the brass monkey and as it is owned by and aussie the whole night was filled with music, ode to the aussies. It was a great night, but I am sure it does not compare to the day that you experienced! I get back on the 13th at 7am so I will be sure to ring you and catch up.
miss you!
xo

4:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear little drunken fool, sounds like an amazing day! I can't believe you passed out, your a massive trashbag! I LOVE IT! haha it sounds like an unforgettable day. I want to be in oz next year for Australia day, it must have been amazing!! We however, had our fair share of partying. We hit the brass monkey and since it is owned by an australian, the whole night was dedicated to the aussies, music and all. However, I know it doesnot compare to the day you experienced. I get back on the 13th in the morning, so I will give you a ring and we should catch up!
take care,
miss ya
xoxo

4:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home