Sunday, January 15, 2006

Life is (always) Beautiful

Why is it that my most favourite smell in the world is the smell of concrete? I'm not talking about the concrete on king street, or even the concrete on Fitzroy street. No, definitely not the concrete on Fitzroy street, because it smells like cat's bum. This smell that I am talking about is ineffable. The reason why I am calling it "concrete" is because I don't know any other word in the English language to describe it. Besides I don't think I even know what real concrete smells like. Probably not too fantastic.

I'm trying to identify where this gutsy smell originates, in the same way I am trying to find the source of the rank sewage smell in my bedroom. I am almost convinced that an animal died in my vent, because the smell is growing worse everyday. Back to concrete, does anyone know what I am talking about? I feel like I am the only person out there who finds this smell uplifting, in fact, almost spiritually uplifting as strange as that sounds. This smell is so good that it seeps through my pores and hits my insides, making me think...

damn, life is (always) beautiful.

I don't come across this unidentifiable "concrete" smell very often. Max four times a year. So whenever I do cross paths with it I try to savour it as much as possible because I never know the next time I will smell it. The last time I encountered concrete was when disembarking from a train at Bondi Junction. I quickly turned to my sister and said, "Rach, can you smell that? It's so good. It's my most favorite smell in the world." Rach responded with, "Em, you are so weird."

4 levels underground was where it was living. But this isn't always the case. The time before that was in the carpark of the CBAA. Though, the next monday it was no longer there. I'm telling you, the smell is transitory.

Oh smell, oh concrete goodness. Where are you living?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Em you are the best weirdo I have ever met. You are my sister, but I also love you as a friend. You have a beautiful heart. Thanks for a great time in Sydney. I miss you already!

1:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home